Water damage is one of the most widely recognized issues that property owners have to deal with. What property owners may not realize is how much factors affect the cost of water damage repair. Excel Fire And Water Damage Restoration Services has researched the top 10 factors that affect the cost of water damage restoration related work. In this article, we will discuss these 10 factors, and provide some better understanding of how they affect the cost of water damage repair. Water damage may be a major problem in a property. It may happen to everyone and for a variety of reasons. Some of the most prevalent causes of water damage are:
- Plumbing problems
- Appliances with flaws, ranging from hot water heaters to refrigerators
- Air conditioning issues
- Flooding or hailstorm damage that causes water to enter
- Moisture accumulation in basements, attics, and other comparable areas
- Gutter clogging
- Backups in the sewers
The 10 Most Important Factors Affecting The Cost Of Water Damage Repair
It’s difficult to say how much water damage repair will cost off the top of your head. The estimation is influenced by a number of factors. For example, the larger and more complex jobs need more resources and time.
Water damage repair may be difficult. Imagine how much more goes into the cleanup itself with all of these factors influencing the cost estimate! That is why it is critical to bring in specialists as soon as possible. Continue reading to learn how and why each element impacts the cost, as well as how these factors affect each other. That way you’ll know exactly what goes into the estimate you’ll receive from the professionals.
- The Size Of The Affected Area: The bigger the extent of the water damage, the longer it takes to perform water damage repair. A water damaged kitchen is inconvenient, but it is less expensive than restoring the whole first floor of a house. The bigger the damaged area, the more dehumidification will be required before the other operations can begin. Similarly, more widespread damage usually implies that more materials will need to be repaired or replaced.
- Water Damage Repair Volume: The volume of water and the impacted area may be connected, but they are not the same. An inch of water from a broken sink pipe on the ground level, for example, may be a simple water damage repair, but a little trickle from an upstairs shower that has gone undiscovered for 20 years could be a serious mold or home safety concern. On the other hand, the more water you have, the more likely it is to spread, intensifying the damage and increasing the probability that standing water will remain when the specialists arrive to clean up. A leak in a toilet supply line may provide 300 gallons of water per hour, whereas a leak in a washing supply line can send 600 gallons of water per hour. These kinds of high volume spills can cause serious and costly damage.
- The Water Type: Did you know that water is classified based on the amount of threat it represents? Here are three types of water that might harm your property.
- Category 1 is water that is relatively clean and originates from clean sources. It might be a toilet tank, a faucet, or a water line that is leaking. It might also take the shape of melting snow. This water is not intrinsically hazardous to people or animals. It is not tainted. However, you do not want it to cause harm in your house.
- Category 2 is water which has been used. This includes spillage from a washing machine or dishwasher. It does not contain sewage, but it does contain pollutants. If this water is left standing, germs can grow and begin to classify it as Category 3.
- Category 3 is water which has been polluted by bacteria or wastewater. It is frequently derived from the sewage, although it does not have to be. Severe flood waters might also be classified as Category 3. This water may include germs, toxic chemicals, and other contaminants. Objects that come into touch with Category 3 water may or may not be recoverable. This encompasses your possessions as well as the components that comprise your home.
- Where Is The Water Flowing From: Water damage can occur from a multitude of sources. The type of water damage repair that is required will be determined by the source of the damage. A leaking HVAC unit, for example, may be unnoticed for some time if it is not regularly repaired. If an HVAC leak is left unattended for an extended period of time, mold and mildew can grow and spread, necessitating mold treatment. Flood waters, on the other hand, can cause significant damage, necessitating floor replacement. A minor sewage backup water damage repair may not cover a large area, but because it is Category 3 water, it will need specific treatment.
- What If There Is Still Water Present: Is there still water at the location of the damage? If this is the case, it will have an impact on the restoration process. Before they can do anything else, the specialists you bring in may need to utilize pumps or other specific equipment to clear out the water. Other elements come into play here as well. Is there a significant or little amount of standing water? How simple is it to get there? These factors can have an impact on how simple it is to pump the water out and how severe the total water repair damage is.
- The Amount Of Time That Has Passed Since The Water Damage Began: We’ve already explained how untreated water damage generates more and worse issues over time. Here’s how it’ll appear as it progresses.
- Within minutes or hours, contamination from hazardous water can spread. Furniture on wet carpeting will begin to discolor it. Water causes wood furniture to bulge over time.
- Within days, you may begin noticing mold and mildew show up. It is possible that the paint and wallpaper will be damaged. Wooden flooring begins to distort, sometimes beyond water damage repair. Structural wood supports may also begin to bulge.
- In about a week, the mold and mildew will grow and spread, in your furniture, the drywall, and even in the structure of your home itself.
- As weeks go by, mold will take root deep into organic materials like wood, ruining them beyond the point of salvage. Mold damage endangers the health of those who live in the house. It penetrates your bloodstream and lungs, wreaking havoc on your immune system. Mold produces allergic symptoms, but it may do much more over time. It can begin to harm your liver, kidneys, and brain, producing migraines and even impairing memory.
- After a long period of time, untreated water damage can directly impact the framework of a house. The home begins to move under its own weight over time. Basement walls may begin to bend, and the entire structure may begin to sink.
- It’s not simply a matter of maintaining your property when it comes to water damage; it’s also a matter of health and safety. That is why it is critical to contact a water damage repair company as soon as possible.
- The Types of Material That Has Been Affected By Water Damage Repair: Different materials respond differently to water. Consider flooring as an example. Water affects various flooring in different ways. Furthermore, certain flooring is easier to replace in parts and pieces, but others must be pulled up and rebuilt altogether, regardless of how extensive the damage is.
- Vinyl and linoleum flooring are water resistant in general. The key issue is that the subfloor does not sustain any harm. Instead of replacing the entire floor, you may be able to loosen and remove specific portions of vinyl flooring to inspect them.
- Laminate flooring may occasionally be changed in small sections, up to a point, before you have to pull it all out and start again. Laminate responds to water differently than many other types of flooring. You must dry it fast since laminates cannot be dried once the water has passed through the surface. The laminate may not exhibit symptoms of deterioration for several days after the harm has occurred. Installation is also simple. Even with sub-floor cushioning installed, laminate flooring installation is relatively inexpensive.
- Hardwood floors may show damage pretty quickly, depending on how well-protected they are. If the damage is minor, you can restore wood floors in discrete areas. You will eventually reach a point when it is cheaper to replace the entire floor, but this is not certain.
- Carpeted flooring, on the other hand, is a different matter. Carpets can tolerate a lot of water before it has been affected by water repair damage. However, all of the water that it soaks up must be completely dried to avoid mold formation within the carpet. Another downside of carpet is that, while remnants may be used to fix it, it is not as smooth as replacing individual tiles or pieces of hardwood. The cost per square foot of carpet varies greatly. Drying carpeted flooring necessitates the use of specific equipment and procedures. Carpet will need to be replaced due to Category 2 flooding. Category 3 will need the replacement of both the carpet and the pad. The best course of action is to contact a water damage repair expert.
- Ceramic or Stone tile flooring is extremely water resistant. As long as the water does not reach the subfloor, you should observe less damage and require fewer repairs. Make certain that the tile is properly sealed and grouted. If you, or whoever installed your floor, saved any excess tile, restoring a tile floor may be a simple task. The cost of tile varies and installation for these alternatives might be a bit more expensive than other options, especially at the higher end of the wood flooring price range.
- Flooring is, of course, only one example. There are components all throughout your property that will impact how resistant your home is to water damage and if repair or replacement is required. A qualified professional can assist you understand what the materials in your home signify for the cost of water damage repair.
- Mold Development: We understand that the longer the water damage lasts, the more likely mold and bacterial development may occur. We discussed how it may begin in as little as three days, take root in weeks, and create significant health problems as it progresses. The good news is that in addition to water damage repair, Excel Restoration employs residential mold remediation specialists that can address this hazard to your home and health.
- The Location of Your Home: Your restoration time might also be influenced by where you reside. The fundamental cost of living in your area will influence water damage repair costs, but it is not the only consideration. If you live in a humid environment, dehumidifying your house will take more time and effort, as well as cost more money. As a result, Excel Restoration works with a network of local water damage repair specialists. If you reside in a state where the humidity is usually high, you know that the person coming to aid you probably lives there as well and is familiar with the conditions. When it comes to water damage repair, humidity may not be your friend, but you can at least guarantee that you have a water damage repair professional on your side with experience you can rely on.
- Reconstruction Is Required: In most cases, water damage repair is preferable to replacement. Repairing rather than replacing saves money and materials. However, this is not always an option. We’ve previously discussed some of the circumstances that could need reconstruction. To summarize, they are as follows:
- Mold taking root
- Contact with contaminated water
- Destruction from storm damage
- Damage left untreated for long periods of time
- Reconstruction might help you get your life back on track, but it can also influence the timeframe and expense of your rehabilitation.
Contact A Water Damage Repair Professional Company
There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of water damage repair. The expense of water damage repair isn’t the only issue that’s complex. The water damage repair is as difficult as it is important. That is why it is critical to contact water damage repair professionals at the first indication of danger.
Excel Restoration is a water damage repair professional company in your area. Excel Restoration has trained and certified specialists to assist you. They are hardworking professionals and can assess, control, and repair the water damage that has affected your house. They understand how to deal with the hazardous mold and mildew that it produces and they understand what can be fixed and what must be replaced. They are eager to put their water damage repair knowledge to work for you.
A Water Damage Restoration Company Serving Illinois
Contact Excel Fire And Water Damage Restoration Services now at (224) 478-1661 for 24 hour basement water damage repair and restoration, fire damage restoration, or mold treatment, or receive a quick quotation from our website. Our Water Damage Restoration Company can aid and tell you the total cost for water damage repair in 30 to 60 minutes.
Learn more information about the step by step water extraction process.