Water in your basement is always a sign of a disaster waiting to happen. It’s crucial that you act fast to clean up any type of water damage in your basement, no matter how large or small the quantity may be. Excel Fire And Water Damage Restoration Services is a professional water damage restoration company. We can help you deal with any kind of basement flooding and remove the hassle from your life. If you know what you’re doing (and if not, who does?), find out more about the steps involved in basement water damage cleanup and restoration by reading this article.
What Are The Signs Of Basement Water Damage?
When you discover that there are several inches of water on the floor, you know there is a problem. Some signs may be more difficult to miss than others. These are the frequent signs of basement water damage in households and workplaces.
- Cracks in walls and floors.
- Cement particles are erupting from surfaces.
- Efflorescence deposits build up on walls.
- Wood that has crumbled or decayed, as well as drywall and plaster.
- Surface discoloration that is yellow or brown in hue.
- Water seeping into the basement through the joints where the walls and flooring meet.
- Pervasive and unpleasant odors, particularly around drains.
- Mold and staining on porous materials and furniture.
Many of these warning signs aren’t immediately apparent. It is important for homeowners to make regular inspections of the basement a habit. This approach allows you to keep ahead of basement moisture issues before they worsen.
What Are The Causes of Basement Water Damage?
You’ve now identified the indications of water damage in your basement. The next step is to determine the cause of the problem. It may take some expert detective work, but you’ll most likely locate the source of basement water on this list. We’ve provided a fast remedy for each of them.
- Faulty Sump Pump: Check the mechanism and clean the drain.
- Appliance Hoses That Leak: Use plumber’s tape to wrap those leaky hoses.
- Cracked Basement Walls: Use hydraulic cement to patch or seal.
- Leaks Around Windows: Use silicon latex based caulk to reseal the leaks.
- Broken Basement Pipes: Turn off the water supply and repair the pipes.
- Exterior Drainage: Grade yard to drain away from foundation.
- Basement Wall and Floor Leaks: Talk to a foundation specialist about repairs.
How Do You Get Water Out Of A Basement?
Begin by repairing the leak, mending the break, or sealing the crack. You are now prepared to begin removing water from the basement. Wait until the incident has passed before pumping away the water if you are dealing with natural floods.
Check that the water level will not interfere with the safe operation of pumping and drying equipment. If you’re not sure, switch off the basement breakers. Don’t take any risks if there’s more than a few inches of water downstairs. Leave the basement water damage cleanup to the experts in water damage restoration. For effectively draining standing water from the basement, a submersible pump is your best option. Use a wet vacuum to remove any remaining water.
How Do You Fix Basement Water Damage?
Repairing a water damaged basement can be a difficult task. The majority of homeowners hire a water damage restoration contractor. Others will put their handyman skills to use on basement water damage by following these 7 steps.
- Ensure Your Safety: Stay cautious by disconnecting all downstairs equipment and turning off any pilot lights if you don’t cut off the basement’s electricity. While working, wear slip resistant rubber boots.
- Ventilate The Basement: Open any basement windows and doors as long as the weather permits. The drying process is sped up by circulating fresh air. If the weather is humid, omit this step.
- Document The Basement Water Damage: You must document damaged areas, materials, and items in order to make a basement water damage claim. Take photographs before you start cleaning up so you can document the damage for your insurance provider.
- Start The Drying Process: To effectively dry out basement water damage, large air movers and heavy duty dehumidifiers are required. Set up leased equipment such that fans continuously produce cross currents throughout the basement. Check and drain dehumidifier water wells on a regular basis.
- Tear Out And Dispose: Basements that have been finished require further work. Begin by removing damaged carpet and padding. Pull down soiled paneling and break off collapsed drywall to remove buckling baseboards. Everything should be bagged and disposed of as soon as possible. The drying process is slowed when wet objects are placed in the basement.
- Clean And Disinfect: Use a strong detergent and water mixture to clean any nonporous surfaces. Baking soda and white vinegar are effective deodorizers. The basement should next be thoroughly disinfected with bleach and water.
- Replace And Rebuild: Allow the basement to dry for a few more days. Replace water damaged carpets to complete the task. Replace damaged baseboards and paneling and rebuild torn out drywall. Before taking rescued items and possessions back down into the basement, make sure they are fully dry.
Who Do You Call For Basement Water Damage Repair?
Basement water damage repair takes time. You’ll need to rent big machinery and just a fair warning, fixing a basement water damage may also be hazardous to your health. Natural flooding and sewage backups risk exposing you to extremely hazardous category 3 black water. Many homeowners seek the services of water damage restoration professionals. It’s a wise decision for numerous reasons.
- Restoration professionals are certified to locate and address the cause of water in your basement as soon as possible.
- They use heavy duty equipment to accelerate water removal and basement drying.
- They are industry certified to handle dangerous category 3 black water cleanup.
- All tear out, replacement, and reconstruction work is handled by technicians.
- Secondary issues such as mold, stains, and smells are all resolved.
- The personnel at the company can assist you in processing your homeowners claim for water damage.
Excel Restoration, a reputable basement water damage restoration company, is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Certified technicians can be dispatched to your home or business right away. Their quick method reduces basement water damage regardless of its source. Your basement is rapidly returned to its pre basement water damage state.
A Water Damage Restoration Company Serving Illinois
Contact Excel Fire And Water Damage Restoration Services at (224) 212-1217 today for 24 hour basement water damage restoration, fire damage restoration, or mold remediation along with any of our other services or get an instant quote from our website. Our Basement Water Damage Restoration Company will get to your Illinois home in 30 to 60 minutes.
Learn more information about our flood cleanup checklist.